- To pinpoint essential similarities and differences between civil security systems across Europe, through mapping and comparing, especially with regard to relevant cultural phenomena and legal determinations.
- To study a representative number of security regional architectures in a comparative analysis regarding the sharing of responsibilities between public and private bodies and the role that citizens play in regional security architectures.
- To determine whether these systems are efficient and effective in protecting their citizens (i.e. to determine what works and what doesn’t work in existing civil security systems).
- To provide advice about what changes or modifications could result in improvements to the security situation in regions or countries where this is desired by EU policymakers.
- To ensure that the project gives EU-added value to policy stakeholders.
- To link to future research needs where possible.